Parkinson's affects thousands of Malaysians above 60 years old.
5%-10% even experience “early-onset” before the age of 50.
What is Parkinson's Disease
Parkinson’s disease (PD) is a brain disorder that leads to shaking, stiffness, and difficulty with walking, balance, and coordination.¹
Parkinson’s symptoms usually begin gradually and get worse over time. As the disease progresses, people may have difficulty walking and talking.¹
They may also have mental and behavioural changes, sleep problems, depression, memory difficulties, and fatigue.¹
Both men and women can have Parkinson’s disease.¹
The disease affects about 50% more men than women.¹
Most people with Parkinson’s first develop the disease at about age 60.¹
Department of Statistics Malaysia 2018 reported the number of patients with Parkinson’s Disease here is expected to increase fivefold from the current estimated 20,000 to 120,000 by 2040.²
It can be hard to tell if you or a loved one has Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson’s should only be diagnosed after having a consultation with a doctor. A doctor will take a detailed medical history and examine you.⁴
Parkinson’s can cause many symptoms and these can vary from person to person.⁴
There will be a detailed neurological examination during which the doctor will:⁴
- Observe for any masked look or difficulties in facial expression.
- Look for any tremor or stiffness or slowness of movement.
- Examine speech softness and lack of volume
Typical symptoms of Parkinson’s include:⁴
Slowness of movement (bradykinesia)
over in bed
A tendency to have small handwriting
Typical early symptoms include:⁴
Your doctor will examine you to look for common signs of Parkinson’s. You may be asked to:⁴
Write or draw – to see if your writing is small or gradually fades
Walk – to see whether there’s a reduction in the natural swing of your arm or in your stride length and speed
Speak – to see if your voice is soft or lacks volume
There is a multidisciplinary team of professionals including a neurologist, neurosurgeon, neuropsychologist and psychiatrist that may care for patients. Often patients with Parkinson’s disease or tremor may undergo testing of motor symptoms on and off medications to assess the severity of the disease.⁵
Treatment for each person with Parkinson’s is based on his or her symptoms.
To know more about the treatment options, you can download the information card and discuss it with your doctor
What should you do if you think you have Parkinson’s Disease?
Expert care improves the quality of life for people with PD. Research shows that those who seek skilled care are at a lower risk of complications and have better quality and longer lives.
People experience Parkinson’s differently. Seek treatment early and successfully manage your unique PD symptoms and maximize your quality of life.
With this in mind, it’s important that you see a specialist to get an accurate diagnosis and to consider the best treatment options.
You may approach a PD (Movement Disorder) specialist for further diagnosis and treatment.
The information contained in this page does not represent medical recommendations. If in doubt, consult a doctor.
This is not a platform to promote any product or Doctors (Health Care Professionals). This is only for patient education on Parkinson’s Disease and how to manage symptoms for better quality of life.
- National Institute of Aging, US Department of Health And Human Services: Available at: https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/parkinsons-disease#:~:text=Parkinson’s%20disease%20is%20a%20brain,have%20difficulty%20walking%20and%20talking.
- Malaysian Parkinson’s disease patients expected to rise fivefold — here’s what you need to know. Available at: https://www.malaymail.com/news/life/2019/04/11/malaysian-parkinsons-disease-patients-expected-to-rise-fivefold-heres-what/1742188?utm_source=FBdlvr&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2zoQ4LNecSY7rIxdzkJ6_6SSDjn_J2JOWMW7irLJu5iVIy7UVg8KUa9LY
- The Malay Mail: Based on the mentioned in reference no.2 – Gleneagles’s Post: Available at: https://www.malaymail.com/news/life/2019/04/11/malaysian-parkinsons-disease-patients-expected-to-rise-fivefold-heres-what/1742188
- How is Parkinson’s Diagnosed. Available at: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/how-parkinsons-diagnosed
- Treatment for PD. Available at: https://www.aans.org/en/Patients/Neurosurgical-Conditions-and-Treatments/Deep-Brain-Stimulation
Engineering the extraordinary
2022 Medtronic Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.